Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DIY Wood Candle Holder

Yesterday I went to my local Home Depot and got a 2x4 cut into 20 4in blocks which also left me with a block about 6in long for a whopping $2.33!  Yay!  I also grabbed a new can of Rust Oleum-Heirloom Satin  (Did I mention I went to the craft store first and they wanted $13 for a bag of little 1in blocks?!)


  I have so many projects I want to do with these blocks it is unreal!  First things first is this candle holder.  I already had a 12in piece of scrap wood left over from my last set of blocks and knew I wanted to use it for this project.  I started off by sanding ALL my blocks...might as well get it over with, right?  I then spray painted the blocks with Rust Oleum Heirloom Satin (2 coats) and also used some light brown water based paint around the edges.  I wiped off the light brown with a rag before it could dry for a rustic look.  I then sanded the edges to give the wood an aged look.  I topped it off with a nice coat of Mod Podge to seal in all that goodness and waited for it all to dry.




  As I was waiting I ran to Dollar General and saw they had all their Christmas inventory marked down to 25cents!  Well needless to say I knew there was something I could use from that aisle and found these pretty awesome key ornaments that  I thought would look cool on my candle holder (after some paint of course) so I snatched them up!  I also got a "few" other things (evil grin)

To finish I used Super Glue to put all my pieces together.  I am making two but am waiting for the other one to dry right now so I figured I would show all of you while I wait.  (Such a multi-tasker!) I also thought the plain white pillar I had looked too boring on top so I wrapped some gold ribbon on it with a fancy rubber band! :)  So here is the final product...what do you think? (Besides I now need bigger pillars to top them off with? HA!)




P.S. This is what I did with that leftover 6in piece


Linking To:

toolsareforwomentoo


Katie's Nesting Spot






Button Redo






















My Backyard Eden



monogram


504 Main




NightOwlCrafting



Show and Tell Green
lil luna link party button

5 comments:

  1. I love the paint job on your blocks. Check out what I did for FREE. http://mmbcreations.blogspot.com/2011/01/wood-wednesday-all-free.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute- Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I’m your newest follower. Please stop by and follow back when you have a chance. You can also add your blog to our Blog Hop! Have a Sweet Friday.
    http://www.AMommysSweetBlogDesign.com
    http://www.MommysReviewsandGiveaways.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm blog hopping today and found your lovely blog. Wishing you a happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY CUTE IDEA! Love it! Thanks for linking up to tickled pink. I am a new follower here!
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and appreciate each and every one!